Struggling with Lust

"Father God, please guide me as I write this article based on Your Word. Help me to write this to glorify You, and let Your words bring clarity to those who seek You. May Your truth help people discern and embrace correct beliefs. I pray and seek everything in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen."



Hi there my Brothers and Sisters in Christ! Today, I want to open up about a struggle that many of us face but often feel ashamed to discuss—lust. Lust is a powerful and pervasive sin that can deeply affect our hearts, minds, and relationships. My journey through this struggle has been difficult, but through God's grace, I have found hope and healing.

Understanding the Gravity of Lust

Lust isn’t just about physical desire; it’s about a deep-seated issue of the heart. Jesus speaks about this in Matthew 5:28, saying, “But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.” This scripture highlights that lust is not just an action but a condition of the heart that needs addressing.

The Impact of Lust

The consequences of lust are far-reaching. It can destroy relationships, lead to guilt and shame, and create a barrier between us and God. For me, it began with seemingly innocent thoughts and grew into a habit that consumed my mind. The Bible warns us about the destructive nature of lust in James 1:14-15: “But each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.”

Recognizing the Need for Change

Realizing the severity of my struggle with lust, I knew I needed to seek God’s help. Admitting the problem was the first step. 1 John 1:9 offers reassurance: “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” I prayed for forgiveness and strength to overcome this sin.

Finding Strength in God

Overcoming lust is not something we can do alone; we need God's strength. Philippians 4:13 reminds us, “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Through prayer, accountability, and immersing myself in God's Word, I began to find the strength to resist temptation and seek purity. Psalm 119:9 provides guidance: “How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word.”

Practical Steps to Overcome Lust

Prayer and Fasting: Regular prayer and fasting helped me seek God’s strength and purification. It allowed me to focus on spiritual growth and rely on God’s power to overcome temptation.

Scripture Memorization: Memorizing scripture related to purity and resisting temptation provided strength during moments of weakness. Verses like 1 Corinthians 10:13 offered hope: “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.”

Accountability: Sharing my struggle with trusted friends and mentors provided support and accountability. They prayed for me and encouraged me to stay strong in my commitment to purity.

Avoiding Triggers: Identifying and avoiding situations or materials that triggered lustful thoughts was crucial. This included being mindful of what I watched, read, and the environments I placed myself in.

Wrapping up

Struggling with lust is a battle that many of us face, but there is hope. Through genuine repentance and reliance on God, we can overcome this sin and live a life of purity. As Romans 13:14 encourages us, “Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.”

Let us strive to seek purity in our hearts and minds, relying on God’s strength to overcome temptation. May we find hope and healing in His grace, knowing that He is with us every step of the way. Remember, true freedom and fulfillment come from living a life that honors God.

Blessings to you all on your journey toward purity and spiritual growth. Remember, God is with you every step of the way.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.5

My Favourite Book in The Holy Bible

My Third Experience which I can't Explain by the Natural Laws - Testimony