Struggling with Gluttony

"Father God, please guide me as I write this article based on Your Word. Help me to write this to glorify You, and let Your words bring clarity to those who seek You. May Your truth help people discern and embrace correct beliefs. I pray and seek everything in the name of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Amen."



Hi there my Brothers and Sisters in Christ! I want to share with you a personal struggle that, although it may seem harmless in our current age, is still relevant and one of the deadliest sins—gluttony.

Diving in

For a long time, I considered myself a foodie. I loved trying new restaurants, indulging in buffet dinners, and savoring every bite of delicious food. It seemed innocent enough, just a way to enjoy life. But over time, I realized it had its own ill effects. I was living life the way I wanted, without considering the bigger picture.

A Revelation from God

I hadn’t really prayed about my eating habits, but God, out of His abundant mercy, revealed to me my mistakes. It started when I began noticing the street animals and poor people living so close to me. It was as if I had been blind to them all this time. God showed me that the amount of money I spent on a single buffet dinner could buy a month’s worth of food for a family of street animals. That realization was a painful thought. The guilt was overwhelming.

Making Changes

I decided to take action. I started feeding street cats and dogs regularly. It felt good to help, but I hadn’t quit eating out. One day, I found myself unable to finish a buffet dinner, and the amount of food I wasted brought me to tears. I could have done better. Then, within a few days, I lost my job. Suddenly, every bit of money mattered to me.

God’s Guidance

In this period of financial uncertainty, God gave me mindfulness. Before I spent money on useless things, He showed me how I could better use the resources He had given me. I began to believe that we are answerable to how we use God’s resources on earth when we are judged.

Now, I have a new perspective. I can still enjoy my favorite foods, but in the comfort of my home, where the cost is just a fraction of dining out. When I do eat at a restaurant, I choose something I can finish, no more buffets.

Biblical Insights

The Bible has much to say about gluttony and self-control. Proverbs 23:20-21 warns, "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags." This verse speaks directly to the consequences of overindulgence.

In 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, we are reminded that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore, honor God with your bodies." This calls us to be mindful of how we treat our bodies, including what we eat.

Moving Forward

This journey has taught me to seek balance and be more considerate of how I use my resources. It's not about deprivation but about stewardship and mindfulness.

God has given us the ability to enjoy good food, but He also calls us to be generous and considerate of others. By making small changes in our habits, we can make a big difference in the lives of those around us and honor God in the process.

If you struggle with gluttony or any form of overindulgence, remember that God’s grace is available to help you overcome it. Turn to Him, ask for His guidance, and let His love fill the voids that food or other indulgences can never truly satisfy.

In Philippians 4:12-13, Paul shares, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through Him who gives me strength." Let this be our prayer too, that we find contentment and strength in Christ, not in our indulgences.

May God bless you and guide you in all your endeavors. Remember, we are stewards of His blessings, and how we use them matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2.5

My Favourite Book in The Holy Bible

My Third Experience which I can't Explain by the Natural Laws - Testimony